Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Words from Matt Field - FD Road Atlanta Recap


Matt Field had one hell of a weekend at Formula Drive Round 2 Road Atlanta. Those who didn't see the crash at Round 1 Long Beach, you can find the video here. We knew going  in that keeping up with Dai Yoshihara was going to be a challenge for us. Matt laid everything on the line but unfortunately a rear tap against the K-rail sent the car straight into the tire wall. With the help of Lutz Performance, the guys towed the car to Florida for storage and repair. We couldn't say Round 2 wasn't just as challenging. Given the gremlins that presented itself, Matt exemplified unprecedented skill and commitment. We look forward to Round 3! 


After Matt finished up with all his classes, he and his team headed out to Lutz Performance to start the rebuild process. Here are a few words from Mr. Field.

"With all the carnage to fix after Long Beach the crew and I flew out a week early to Tampa Florida. This is home to Lutz Performance.  These guys were nice enough to let me fix my car at their shop while on the east coast.  There was a lot of work to do to the car after round 1. The whole rear end needed to be cut off and re-worked, the front suspension, as well as lots of body work had to be done. No fun. "

Long Beach Interview:



"This was the first event that I wasn’t so nervous that I couldn’t even eat. I was calm, collected and relaxed. Just the mindset I needed to do well. As we did driver’s introductions and our crowd-pleasing doughnuts and burnouts I couldn’t help but think how great it is to be out here in front of so many drift-crazy fans. But now, It was time for battle. I was the first pair scheduled to battle in top 16." 



"Now, at this time my slave cylinder had basically taken a full shit on me. After the driver’s introductions I actually had to shut my car off, put it in reverse, and start it as it rolled backwards. My clutch pedal was basically non-existent. As I pulled up to the line, and gave my thumbs up to signify that I was ready, I put my car in gear with my foot completely down on the clutch, and the car shut off….I waved my hands and told the starter to wait! I started my car up, knowing what I was going to have to do. As the lights began to light up on the starting stand I slammed my car into gear at the last minuet. My car stumbled and bogged and finally got up and went. I had to drive my car with no clutch, even start my car with no clutch. As I followed Mike Essa into the first corner, holding my shifter into 4th gear so it wouldn’t pop out, I initiated. After initiation my transmission pops out of 4th and I slam it into 3rd, trying to stick with Essas’s extremely fast BMW. My follow run turned out as best as I could with no clutch and a screwed up transmission. I turned the car around to stage for my lead run. As the lights went out “BAM!” I slammed my car into gear with no clutch and went. I initiate and try to run away from Essa as fast as possible. My lead run was one of my best runs all day, with a small mistake at the end of the track I waited for the judges results. My spotter tells me in my ear that we are going one more time and I just pray that my car will make it." 


"We line up one more time and I slam my car into gear as the chase starts. I had a huge error coming into the horseshoe this time. With no clutch, I grabbed the E break to slow down entering the horseshoe this shut off my car completely. During pervious runs the car was doing the same thing but I was able to reach for the start button and start my car up without loosing drift, but this time was different. With the huge mistake I rolled back up the hill for my lead run of the one more time battle. I went to turn around to line up and the car decided it didn’t want anymore. I wasn’t sure what was happening and I almost hit the wall because I couldn’t get my car out of gear. As my mechanic poked his head under the front fenders he gave me the sign that we were done. The knuckle ended up breaking and that was that. I had a great time in Atlanta and it was a huge disappointment for me. I felt I had a real chance to do well here and it just didn’t happen. I am looking forward for round 3."

HI MOM, happy mothers day!!! 


I would like to say thanks to: CXRacing, Blacktrax Performance, Parts Shop Max, Maxxis Tire, Rotiform, Lutz Performance, Sokodu Designs, AEM, Vex Motorsports, Swift Springs, Endless Racing, VIS Racing, OMG Drift, Daft Innovations, ACT, Fatlace, K&N Filters, Aermotive, TunerPlayground, and Grip Royal.





No comments:

Post a Comment